I strongly believe education is the most powerful tool we can use to change the world. Education is the paramount duty of our government, but today we are not meeting our high expectations that our children deserve. Extreme poverty, periods of violent conflict, and systemic mismanagement of resources have characterized life in the Democratic Republic of Congo for the past three decades, with a disproportionately negative impact on an entire generation of Congo’s most vulnerable and important citizens – our children. Now is the time to increase investment in the education sector of the New Zaire and ensure that all children will receive a proper education and have the ability to pursue and achieve their dreams.
As President, I will construct creative and innovative classrooms where children are exposed to a rich, broad, stimulating, and flexible curriculum taught by highly qualified and valued teachers. I will enable students to be involved and take ownership for their own learning by creating a curriculum that is engaging as well as relevant. I will support parents to become more integrated into their children’s education by involving them in the classroom as well. Building a world-class education system means preparing our kids for productive citizenship and for the jobs of tomorrow in a student-focused system. A flourishing education system is key to our future, and to a new economy that will allow the New Zaire to compete with the rest of the world.
I will lead a nationwide effort to make the improvement of our schools and the future of the New Zaire’s youth our number one priority. It will take an entire community working together-parents, citizens, community leaders, business leaders and educators – to build a better future for our children and our country. We all have a role to play, and must act as a united front with the same goals and values in mind.
My vision for the New Zaire’s education system by the year 2020:
- Classrooms will be inclusive: teachers will adapt curriculum in order to accommodate multiple learning styles and students will be given the tools and support they individually require to be successful.
- Achievement and opportunity gaps among students will be eliminated.
- Students will have the opportunity to choose desired courses along with required courses in order to foster engagement and commitment to coursework.
- All students will graduate from high school prepared with relevant skill-sets for the job market
- All Congolese students will have access to post-secondary education or training to pursue the career of her or his choice.
As President, I will achieve this by:
- Hiring and training highly qualified teachers with training in student-centered approaches and varying teaching styles.
- Providing high-quality early learning to every child.
- Ensuring every child has excellent teachers and administrators with aligned values and expectations.
- Providing regular professional development and workshops for educators to ensure that they are constantly expanding upon their knowledge and teaching practices.
I will promote the passing of government reform in the education sector to tackle the issues of low budget, quality education and stimulus packages to teachers and students to encourage school retention and commitment to continued education and delivery of high quality education.
I will make primary and secondary education accessible to all citizens free of charge to provide disadvantaged children with the opportunity to develop their full potential, and enter the tertiary system well-equipped to afford the challenge of a higher degree of learning.
I will bring breakthrough information technology skills to every educator and their students, and will equip every school with modern computing facilities to break through the barriers of learning gaps and delays, and open new frontiers in the educational system. Modern technology needs innovative thinkers, let us create a society where our children understand the future of technology and can help to shape a prosperous Zaire.
I will promote educational excellence by recognizing gifted children through a national program for gifted scholarly education aimed at building a top-tier class of researchers and thinkers who will drive the future of science and development of the DRC. We must invest in New Zaire’s youth: our future.